Your endocrine system is made up of glands found throughout the body. These glands, which produce hormones, send hormones into the bloodstream or into the fluid around cells, and receptors to be distributed among organs and tissues, and “programmed” to respond to the hormones.
Essentially the endocrine system performs many roles that your body is dependent on, such as producing hormones that regulate metabolism, growth and development, tissue function, sexual function, reproduction, sleep, and mood – and along with other functions. The endocrine system physically consists of:
- Pituitary gland
- Thyroid gland
- Parathyroid glands
- Adrenal glands
- Ovaries (females)
- Testicles (males)
An unhealthy, or unsupported endocrine system result in an assortment of unwanted conditions such as hindered growth and development during puberty, difficulties getting pregnant, problems managing stress, putting on weight easily, having weakened bones or being low on energy because an excess amount of sugar remains in your bloodstream instead of where it should be – moving into cells to be used for energy.
Here are some common signs your endocrine system is not hitting on all cylinders:
- Insomnia and other sleep issues
- Dull or puffy skin
- Low energy
- Low sex drive
- Alopecia (hair loss)
- Weight gain
- Heightened fear
The first step in supporting your Endocrine System is through Nutrition, Vitamins and Minerals. Check out these products below to support your health, body and endocrine system.
- Vitamin A Needed for our immune system, hormone synthesis, and the production of the thyroid hormone triiodothyronine (T3).
- Vitamin B12 Found in every cell in the body, it is needed for cellular metabolism and energy production.
- Vitamin D Levels of vitamin D often significantly lower in patients with hypothyroidism, although a direct connection still not determined.
- Glutamine Our body’s most plentiful amino acid, modest amounts can increase human growth hormone a lot.
- Iodine An iodine deficiency can thwart the body’s natural detoxification and lead to hypothyroidism.
- Licorice root Can help the thyroid and adrenal glands for those who have adrenal fatigue (low cortisol).
- Selenium Helps in the normalization of the thyroid hormone balance.
- Zinc Contributes to immune modulation.